ASA brings "Apps" to oscilloscopes and M1™
The M1 Apps Program is a combination of enabling technology and a business model/marketplace designed to bring third-party applications developers together with scope users to more rapidly deliver needed scope functionality to market.
Amherst, MA USA…. December 18, 2009
Amherst Systems Associates Inc (ASA Corp.) today launched another industry first – an apps marketplace for scopes. Called the M1 Apps Program™, it is designed to create a mechanism to both drastically speed up the introduction of new scope functionalities (e.g. compliance tests, special measurements, stimulus-response, etc.) and to create scope functionalities that otherwise would never be developed.
"Our ultimate objective is to accelerate the production of new technology solutions that speed customer measurement workflow of every kind, without regard to scope brand", according to Mike Williams, President and Chief Product Designer for M1OT. "The technology component of the Apps Program is M1's powerful native automation capabilities, with three new essential business elements that make up the program."
- A new third-party Developers Program eliminates the technology barriers to having the true experts develop useful scope software of all kinds that runs on any brand of scope.
- A new marketplace called the M1 Apps Store gives M1 users a genuine financial incentive to develop a wide variety of new functionality. It is also a one-stop destination for scope users to easily find new, low-cost or free functionalities like compliance tests and special measurements.
- And a new Manufacturer's Apps Program makes it very simple for signal source manufacturers to rapidly create software options that combine their instruments with any scopes into stimulus-response systems. And do so without their having to re-develop and test any of the massive analysis functionality already in M1.
As of launch, the M1 Apps Store already has well over 100 Apps, including at least two “killer apps”:
- SimBridge™ which allows the user to apply the massive analysis capabilities of M1 to their simulator output. M1 is the only scope software/analysis tool that can be used across the entire device life-cycle, from simulation through R&D, characterization, production test and beyond.
- External Decode - M1 already provides a large number of decode capabilities, but there are a LOT of flavors of decode in the world. Our external decode App provides the framework, the hooks and a process for engineers and Developers to easily create new decode types in M1.
"Apps are all the rage now in other product spaces today," according to Williams, "but we've been in the customer-generated apps business since 2004 when we invented the idea of making scope software user-definable. What's different now is that we've created a marketplace to bring customer needs and developers together. The objective is more rapid and convenient access to new functionality across all scope brands."
To Learn More
For more in-depth comments by Williams: http://www.m1ot.com/mike-w-blog
For more information about the M1 Apps Program: http://www.m1ot.com/m1apps
The M1 Third-Party Apps Developers Program is described at: http://www.m1ot.com/m1appsdevconnection
The M1 Apps Store itself is located at: http://www.m1ot.com/m1appsstore
An associated manufacturer's program is at: http://www.m1ot.com/m1appsOEM
U.S. Availability, Pricing and Photos
M1 OT is available immediately. It is priced at under $8000 (price determined by the attached scope). M1 is described at www.m1ot.com.
A photo of M1™ can be found at http://www.m1ot.com/press-photos.htm.
About ASA Corp.
ASA Corp. is an engineering/technology company focused squarely on clock & timing engineering, and related measurement science. As an innovator and a leader in this field for the past 22 years, ASA has helped forge how clock & timing is done today, as well as contributing significantly to what future clock and measurement technologies will look like. ASA's patented approach to analyzing jitter and timing in both clock and data-streams is instantiated in the M1™ product family, which has become the de facto standard for how high-precision timing is measured. The M1™ family of timing and jitter analysis tools is both the functionality and precision leader in every market segment in which it competes, and is the only tool which runs on the instruments of all of the major manufacturers. By combining unique know-how and experience with industry leading measurement products, ASA is in a unique position to deliver significant, genuine value to its hundreds of clients and partners worldwide.